Friday, November 12, 2010

Others' Creativity


I’ve been feeding my creativity by enjoying others creativity. Friday night, September 29, I went to a poetry reading, which Judy Kleinberg opened with a reading of some of her wonderful poems. I especially liked her poem “theft of the pomegranate” about Persephone and the images of sensual red. Peter Ludwin and Lorraine Healy also read. Lorraine Healy’s Argentinean expressiveness captivated me. I haven't tried writing much poetry.

Saturday night I heard blues singers Ruthie Foster and Eric Bibb at Mount Baker Theater. I worked the member’s pre-show reception. I was taking pictures for Emily Weiner. So when Eric peeked in to listen to what his manager said, I couldn’t resist asking him for a picture. He looked dapper in a purple shirt and hat. I wish I had the vocabulary to discuss music in a meaningful way, other than just saying I liked it, especially Ruthie’s sister’s violin, more fiddling. I’ve had violins on my mind.  Mine is tucked away in my closet, I wish it were easier to play and make it sound good. Today I stopped by Dorothy who is a luthier - imagine being able to make a violin? And asked her for an interview for my radio show. She’s been battling cancer and told me that the one thing that was important in life was love that we are here to give love and create love.

For my own creativity I’ve been editing two short romance pieces and I’m still working on Emily’s sweater. I had hoped to knit some at work this week, I did get started on a scarf, but Wednesday when I was working with a woman in a wheelchair, she kept slipping down and I was afraid she would slide right on to the floor so I pulled up my chair and spent my creativity keeping her up. More than once I was definitely not feeling creative as I crawled around the floor to get her slippers back on her feet. 

But it helps to keep thinking of the lines of Judy's poetry, 
"crunches a single red jewel 
between her teeth

crimson light flooding her mouth"

It puts me in a red mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment